Through a number of curricular and cocurricular sessions and experts, the Student Affairs, Diversity and Inclusion team in Valencia offers regular critical-thinking opportunities to review and analyze a myriad of topics relating to diversity, equity, inclusion, and sustainability in the music industry worldwide. Check out the following archives for a selection of sessions and resources:
Off-campus resources and engagement: There are a number of Spanish organizations that offer support, information, and community-building and engagement opportunities around specific topics.
Addressing social injustice and discrimination based on race (listed alphabetically)
Addressing social injustice and discrimination based on race
- Afrofeminas: An online community that gives a voice and visibility to Afro-descendant/Black women in Spain.
- Fundación Secretariado Gitano: An organization working towards achieving the full citizenship of Roma people, improving their living conditions, promoting equal treatment, and preventing all forms of discrimination.
- International Decade for People of African Descent: An organization that aims to celebrate the important contributions of people of African descent worldwide; advance social justice and inclusion policies; eradicate racism and intolerance; promote human rights; and assist in creating better, more prosperous communities in line with the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations.
- Intersect Madrid: A grassroots organisation aiming to open up the discussion on issues of social injustice and discrimination in formal education.
- Melanin Madrid: A community of POC helping members relocate to Spain through community, consulting, and digital resources.
- Movimiento por la Paz, Comunidad Valenciana: An NGO that works for human rights, democratic governance, and equality and solidarity between peoples.
- SOS Racismo: A federation of associations in defense of human rights, focusing on the fight against racism and xenophobia.
- United Minds: A Valencia-based bookstore specializing in African culture and literature.
Supporting gender identity and expression (listed alphabetically)
Supporting gender identity and expression
- Club Esportiu LGTBQIA+ DRACS Valencia: A club offering sports and leisure activities for members of the LGBTQIIA+ community.
- LAMBDA: An association that denounces legal discrimination and social marginalization in the LGBT community.
- The ILGA world: The International, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association
- Go Abroad LGBTQIA+ Travel Guide: A guide that provides resources for members of the LGBTQIA+ community who are traveling abroad.
- Mujeres en Igualdad: An organization that defends the freedoms, rights, and interests of women in all spheres.
- MIM: An association for gender equality in the music industry.
- She Knows Tech: An association aiming to close the music industry’s gender gap through highlighting and celebrating women in music technology.
- U.S. Embassy Resources for LGBTQIA Travelers: These resources provide traveler information for LGBTQIA+ community members.
Women in Music: The industry's leading nonprofit working to advance the awareness, equality, diversity, heritage, opportunities, and cultural aspects of women in the musical arts.
Providing accessibility information (listed alphabetically)
Providing accessibility information
- Accessible metro stations in Valencia
- Accessibility Plus Eurotaxi (iPhone/Android app for accessible taxis)
- Accessible Spain, Valencia
- ALSA Special Services: ALSA is a bus company that travels all around Spain.
- Guía Accesible de Valencia
- Wheelchair Accessible Valencia
- Wheel the World
- ONCE: Services for the visually impaired
Tur4all: Accessible traveling in Spain (iPhone/Android app)
Other useful resources
Other useful resources
- Diversity Abroad Guide to Spain: This guide includes a historic overview, scholarship information, health and safety tips, and identity-specific resources to help students prepare for their global experience in Spain.
- Diversity Abroad Network: A leading membership organization that inspires and supports educators, policy makers, industry professionals, and other stakeholders in leveraging global educational programs to support the academic success, interpersonal development, and career readiness of students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds.