Student Visas

Master's degree students need a long-stay student visa (stays for more than 90 days), allowing students to study for up to one year in Spain. The visa application process requires the student to present documentation at their corresponding Spanish consulate. We strongly recommend starting your visa application process at least four months prior to the beginning of the program.

Passport Requirement

All students must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after their program end date. It is recommended that you have your passport ready at least four months before your program start date to initiate your visa application. Moreover, students are discouraged from making international travel plans during the months in which they plan to apply for their visas because the local consulate may keep their passport while processing the application.

Visa Delays and Other Issues

Please be aware that many consulates have been experiencing delays in appointment availability and visa processing. Regardless of the delay that you may face in your procedure, we strongly urge you to complete the process before leaving your home country, as students who are not citizens of the European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, and Switzerland need a student visa in order to enter and study in Spain.

Who needs this visa?

All master’s degree program participants on the Valencia campus need this visa unless you are a citizen or legal resident of the European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, or Switzerland.

Getting Your Visa

The following information describes the general process in order to obtain a long-stay student visa. However, you should check with your Spanish consulate before beginning the process, as the process varies from consulate to consulate.

Before Entering Spain

Entering Spain

Once in Spain

Visa FAQs

Schengen Area

Applying for a Student Visa


Immigration Issues in Spain

Internships, Work, and Citizenship