Berklee Study Abroad: Once Accepted

Next Steps

Once Accepted

Students are encouraged to confirm their place as soon as possible. There is limited space in the program, and once full capacity is reached, students may join a waiting list.

To confirm your place in the program, complete the following three steps.

1. Get Your Academic Review

Berklee College of Music students:
If you have declared your major, contact your major chair. (Performance majors should contact Karen Bell in the Performance Division to request the form.) Ask the chair to submit the Study Abroad Academic Review Form and send you a copy of the form submission email. We recommend reviewing the study abroad courses and planning which ones you will take in Valencia before meeting with your major chair.

If you have not declared your major, submit the Student Academic Information Form.

Berklee Online degree students:
Review the study abroad courses. Once you have identified the courses you wish to take, submit the Valencia Study Abroad Course Advising Form (see Forms and Policies). An advisor will review your form to verify that the courses you wish to take align with your remaining degree requirements and are appropriate for your level.

You will receive an email within 7-10 business days with additional information regarding whether your coursework has been approved. If you are having difficulties selecting appropriate coursework, please email

Other students:
Speak with your academic advisor or home school study abroad office to make sure you will be able to stay on track with your academic requirements.

2. Submit Your Acceptance Agreement

Find your Acceptance Agreement in the Confirm Your Place email sent by the Study Abroad Office.

3. Pay Your Program Deposit

Read more about paying the program deposit.

Once Confirmed

Complete these tasks during the semester prior to going abroad. You will begin to receive more information from the Study Abroad Office during the first few weeks of the semester (fall or spring) prior to your program start date.

2. Notify Relevant Offices on Campus

Some important departments to contact include:

Housing: If you live on campus, let the housing office know when you will be studying abroad and if you wish to request housing for when you return.

Student Employment: If you currently have a student employment position, inform your supervisor of your plans to study abroad once you've been accepted to the program. Important information to share with them is your last day before going abroad as well as the date you are able to return to work once you return.

International Student Services: If you are an international student, contact the International Student Services team, especially if you are close to graduating and considering Optional Practical Training (OPT) or other post-completion options.

Disability Services: Let your Disability Services Counselor know that you will study abroad so they can ensure you'll have access to everything you'll need in Valencia.

Personal Counseling: Let your counselor know that you will study abroad. They can provide useful tips and help you set up counseling services in Valencia.

4. Register for Your Classes

Berklee College of Music students: Make sure you have consulted with your major chair to determine the classes you should take. You will register during the college's regular registration period (in April for fall and in November for spring).

All other students: Make sure you have consulted with your advisor to determine the classes you should take. You will receive a registration form along with a list of courses and meeting times from Berklee's Study Abroad Office. This information will be available in March for fall and in October for spring.

See study abroad courses.

5. Attend a Pre-Departure Meeting

All students must attend a pre-departure meeting. Details of the meeting will be sent to confirmed students. The meeting takes place in April for students studying abroad in fall and in November for students studying abroad in spring.
6. Prepare for Departure

Refer to the Pre-Departure Guide for helpful tips.

Once you have booked your flight, email your flight information to

Passports and Visas

Passport Requirement

All students must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after their program end date. It is recommended that you have your passport available at least four months before your program start date in order to apply for a visa.

Visa Requirement

*Most students will need a student visa to study in Spain. It is recommended that you start preparing your visa application two months before the deadline.

*Citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Spain.

Visa Application Instructions

1. Choose Which Visa You Need

Semester Visa
Apply for this visa if you will go abroad for one semester.

This is usually a 180-day (6-month) visa. It is not renewable. If you go to Valencia with this visa and then decide to stay there for the following semester, you have to apply for a new visa at the consulate that corresponds to where you have permanent residence or where you go to school.

Year Visa
Apply for this visa if you will go abroad for a year (only available if you start your year abroad in the fall).

This is usually a 90-day visa. Within thirty days of entering Europe you must apply for a Spanish residency card, which is valid for one year and renewable. Staff in Valencia will help you obtain the residency card.

2. Decide How You Will Apply

You can apply for a visa through the study abroad office or on your own.

Option A: Apply Through The Study Abroad Office - Strongly Recommended
The study abroad office will submit your application to the Spanish consulate in Boston.

  • You must submit your visa application, including your passport, to the study abroad office by the deadline (May 31 for fall and October 15 for spring).
  • Visa processing takes *approximately eight weeks from the visa application deadline. You will not get your passport back until late July (for fall) and early December (for spring). Your passport will remain at the consulate and cannot be retrieved during this time.
    *The study abroad office cannot guarantee that your passport will be ready by a certain date. Visa processing time is at the discretion of the consulate.
  • The study abroad office will email you when your visa is ready. You can pick up your passport (with visa inside) from the study abroad office or have it mailed to you.

Option B: Apply On Your Own
If you cannot apply for your visa through the study abroad office, you may apply on your own. Some consulates may allow you to keep your passport while they process your visa application. Please be advised that applying on your own can be risky, and you may not get a visa in time to start your semester abroad. Consulates will only communicate with the person applying for the visa. They will not disclose any information to the study abroad office. If you are considering applying on your own, email for more information.

  • You must apply at a Spanish consulate or embassy that corresponds to where you are a permanent resident or where you go to school. For example, if you go to school in Boston, and your permanent residence is in Los Angeles, you can apply in Boston or Los Angeles. You must show proof of residence (state ID) or school enrollment (school ID) when you apply.
  • Some consulates outside the U.S. may not accept your visa application if you live in another country (for example, if your permanent residence is in Korea and you have an F-1 visa to attend school in the U.S., you may not be able to apply in Korea). You must check with your consulate.

3. Prepare And Submit Your Application

Option A: Apply Through The Study Abroad Office (Strongly Recommended)

  • Download the Visa Application Checklist and prepare your documents.
  • Submit your visa application to the study abroad office by the deadline.

Visa Application Deadline:
May 31 (Fall Abroad)
October 15 (Spring Abroad)

Option B: Apply On Your Own
If you are considering applying on your own, please email for more information.

  • Find your Spanish consulate or embassy. Request an appointment if necessary. Look for an appointment early and often! If you don’t find one right away, keep checking multiple times per day.
  • Review the consulate’s student visa application requirements and prepare your documents exactly as listed to avoid processing delays.
  • Request your official acceptance letter and proof of health insurance from the study abroad office. Email and include your full name as it appears on your passport. Please allow seven (7) business days for your letters to be processed. You will need to include these letters in your visa application.
  • Apply for your visa. Make sure you have everything. If you have an appointment, arrive early to allow time for checking in.

Health and Travel Insurance

Students participating in the Berklee Study Abroad program must have primary health insurance. The program provides supplemental Spanish health insurance as well as travel insurance for school-related trips. Students are responsible for obtaining appropriate insurance coverage for personal travel.

You must have primary health insurance.

Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee students must enroll in Berklee's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or waive it by demonstrating comparable coverage. Read more about the Berklee SHIP.

Students from other schools must meet the primary health insurance requirement of their home institution.

You will have Spanish health insurance.

Students will be covered by MAPFRE, a private health insurance provider in Spain, while they are enrolled in the program. This coverage is included in the program fee and cannot be waived. Students will receive their MAPFRE insurance card during orientation in Valencia. MAPFRE provides coverage throughout Spain. Visit Health, Wellness, and Support Services to learn more about MAPFRE health insurance as well as medical, counseling, and disability services in Valencia.

You will have travel insurance for your trip to and from Valencia, and for school-sponsored travel during the program.

Berklee’s travel insurance provider, UnitedHealthcare Global (UHCG), covers students during their travel to and from Valencia (at the beginning and end of the program) and during travel that is part of the academic program. There is no fee for this coverage. Download the UnitedHealthcare Global Welcome Kit for more information.

If you will travel for personal reasons before, during, or after the program, you are responsible for obtaining appropriate health and travel insurance.

For personal travel inside Spain during the program, you will be covered by MAPFRE. You will not be covered by UHCG.

For personal travel outside of Spain during the program, you will not be covered by MAPFRE or UHCG. You should check with your primary health insurance provider to see if they provide coverage for international travel. Alternatively, you can purchase independent insurance including medical coverage, trip and luggage protection, and more. See the Frequently Asked Questions section of Health, Wellness, and Support Services for more information.