Passports and Visas


All students must have a passport that will be valid for at least six months after their period of studies in Spain. All students must also be at least 18 years of age before they travel to Spain to begin their first semester with us. It is recommended that you have your passport ready at least four months before your program start date.


Most students will need to obtain a student visa (visado de estudios) to study in Spain, with the exception of students who are EU/EEA* citizens. A student visa is a type of long-stay permit that you apply for at a Spanish consulate abroad. The visa gets stamped inside your passport and will enable you to enter Spain with an international student immigration status. It is recommended that you start reviewing these visa instructions as soon as you have been admitted to the Berklee program so that you have enough time to obtain the required visa application materials and apply for your visa.

In most jurisdictions, the earliest that you are legally able to apply for your Spanish student visa will be around three months before the start of your studies in Spain. However, it normally takes several weeks or months to compile all the necessary documents for the application, so you must begin working on this process much sooner. Once you submit your visa application to the Spanish consulate, it may then take several more weeks for the consulate to process your visa application and issue your visa to you. The Spanish consulate will usually be in possession of your passport while they are processing your visa application. All students must obtain their Spanish student visa before arriving in Valencia for the start of their first semester. 

*Citizens and permanent residents of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a Spanish student visa to study in Spain. EU/EEA citizens are allowed to live, work, and study in Spain without immigration restrictions. The EEA encompasses all EU member countries plus Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, and Switzerland. Citizens of all other countries in the world, including the United States and Great Britain, must obtain a Spanish student visa before beginning their studies at Berklee Valencia. If you have any questions or concerns about your ability to secure this visa, please reach out to Berklee.