First Year Abroad: Accepted Students

Accepted Students

If you have already been accepted to Berklee College of Music's First Year Abroad program for the upcoming fall, then there are a number of things that you need to do prior to check-in. This section of the site is designed to help you make a smooth transition.

Acceptance Expiration

Your acceptance is dependent on the successful completion of any outstanding schoolwork. Admission to the First Year Abroad program on the Valencia campus is only valid for the fall semester that you were accepted.

If you do decide to defer your acceptance, you must submit a written request to refund or transfer your tuition deposit to a later semester. Your refund or transfer request must be received by the college no later than May 1.

Next Steps

Check Your Passport

All students must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after their program end date. It is recommended that you have your passport ready at least four months before your program start date so you can apply for a visa.

Learn More About Passports and Visas

Apply for a Student Visa to Study in Spain

First Year Abroad students need a long-stay (or long-term) student visa to study in Spain. The visa application process requires the student to present documentation at their corresponding Spanish consulate.

Who Needs a Visa?
All students on the Valencia campus need this visa unless you are a citizen or legal resident of the European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, or Switzerland.

It can take several months to prepare your visa application and get your visa. You should have your visa completed by August 1.

Learn More About Passports and Visas

Submit Your Immunizations

As a part of your completion of your acceptance process, all entering and transfer students must submit a completed Berklee Entering Student Immunization Form and submit it to Magnus Health, Berklee’s provider for collecting, managing, and tracking immunization information. You should receive an email from Magnus Health to the email address that is connected to your application with information on how to access your Magnus Health account. This step in your acceptance process cannot be completed until Magnus Health emails you with your login credentials.  Please be aware that it may take up to a week from your admittance to the school for your Magnus Health account to be active. Go to the Berklee Health & Wellness Immunization Requirement page for more detailed information about submitting your immunization requirements to Magnus Health. You may retrieve an Entering Student Immunization Form and submit your immunization documentation online at

Special Notice: All immunizations must be completed before arriving in Spain, as some immunizations will not be available there.

The entire immunization process can take up to 16 weeks. You should have this completed by August 1.

If you are an entering student and have questions about your immunizations or immunization requirements, please contact the Magnus Help Desk.

Magnus Help Desk Number: 877-461-6831, or for callers outside of the U.S.: 919-502-7689
Magnus Help Desk Email:

Student ID Photo Submission

Please visit the Student ID Photo Submission web page to submit your photo for your Berklee I.D. electronically. The web page includes rules that must be adhered to for the photo to be accepted. Use your onepass credentials to log in to be able to access the web page.

Complete photos are due by August 1.

Submit your ID Photo

Student Agreement Submission

Enrollment at Berklee's Valencia Campus is subject to students' revision and agreement to a number of terms and conditions that relate to student life at the Valencia campus.

All First Year Abroad students will need to complete these student agreements and email them to by August 1.

Complete your agreement

Submit Personal Contact Information

All Valencia students are required to provide personal information for various administrative tasks such as processing your health insurance, creating your Valencia Campus Intranet accounts and IDs, etc. You will need to upload a scanned copy (or photo) of your passport.

Submit the form as soon as possible so we have all the information we need for the various tasks. We need this information no later than August 1.

Submit your info

Review Your Check-In Requirements

All restrictions on your account must be cleared before you will be allowed to check-in for the semester. Go to and log in using your onepass credentials to view the "Semester Check-In" in the Check-In section.

If you don’t know your credentials or are having trouble logging in, you may contact our Student Computer Support Center for help at or 617-747-8800.

Review Transfer Credit

As an admitted Berklee student, you may also view a transfer-credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar. Go to and log in using your onepass credentials and click on "View Transcript/Transfer Credit Awarded."

If you don’t know your credentials or are having trouble logging in, you may contact our Student Computer Support Center for help at or 617-747-8800.

TOEFL Requirements

Applicants to the degree program, whose first language is not English, are required to submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or the Pearson PTE score to complete their application for admission. We recommend a TOEFL IBT score of 72 or higher or an IELTS score of 6 or higher.


One week before classes start, all First Year Abroad students are required to attend orientation on the Valencia campus to introduce you to everything that Berklee’s international campus in Spain has to offer. During this week, you’ll not only get to meet your classmates, faculty, and support staff, but also the rest of the campus community at the undergraduate and graduate level.

Learn More About Orientation

Apply for Financial Aid

Whether you are attending Berklee in Boston or doing your first year abroad in Valencia the process of applying for aid is the same. You and your family begin the process of applying for need-based financial aid by completing two forms: the CSS/Financial Aid Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Both applications gather information about your family's financial situation and enable you to be considered for a range of federal, state, and institutional funding.

Learn More About Student Financial Services


Housing is mandatory for all First Year Abroad students.

Learn More About Housing

Submit Proof of High School Graduation

Submit proof of high school/secondary school completion
submit your proof of high school graduation (either your official high/secondary school diploma or final transcript that includes a graduation date and an official signature and seal). Students who did not submit proof of secondary school completion as part of their application must submit a general report of their credential evaluation through a certified credential evaluation service. Transfer students should submit their most recent transcript to update their transfer credit records. Some documents may already have been submitted during the application process.

It can take up to three weeks to order, submit, and process your documents. The office of admissions must receive them no later than August 1.

Additional Steps

Don't forget to continue checking your application portal to review additional details.

Passports and Visas

Important Message About Visas

We understand many Spanish consulates have limited visa appointments and/or are experiencing delays due to the pandemic. Please follow the instructions below and email if you have any questions or concerns about getting your visa.

Passport Requirement

All students must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after their program end date. It is recommended that you have your passport ready at least four months before your program start date so you can apply for a visa.

Visa Requirement

*Most students will need to obtain a visa to study in Spain. A student visa is a type of long stay (or long term) visa that you apply for at a Spanish consulate or embassy. The visa gets stamped inside your passport. It is recommended that you start preparing your visa application at least four months before your program start date.

*Citizens and legal residents of the European Union, United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Spain.

Applying for a Visa

The steps below describes the general process for obtaining a student visa. You must check with your Spanish consulate to find out the exact requirements for your visa application.

Step One: Find Your Consulate

You must apply for your visa at the Spanish consulate that corresponds to your legal residence.

Spanish Consulates in the U.S.:
Boston: for residents of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Chicago: for residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
Houston: for residents of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi.
Los Angeles: for residents of Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Southern California.
Miami: for residents of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.
New York: for residents of Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.
San Francisco: for residents of Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Pacific islands (Guam, American Samoa, Mariana Islands, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands), and Northern California.
Washington DC (Embassy): for residents of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and DC.

Spanish Consulates outside the U.S:
See here for a list of Spanish consulates and embassies.

Step Two: Schedule an Appointment at Your Consulate

Most consulates require you to make an appointment to submit your student visa application.* Be sure to select an appointment that allows you enough time to prepare all the required documents in advance. You should also allow enough time for the consulate to process your visa. (Many consulates take four to six weeks to process a visa, though some may take longer.)

  • Be sure to select a student visa appointment (not business or tourist visa).
  • It is important to check often for appointments since new ones may become available as other people cancel.
  • Most consulates will keep your passport for the entire time your visa is being processed. Some may allow you to hold on to it if you have upcoming travel plans. If you do hold on to it, keep in mind that you will need to bring it back to the consulate so they can stamp the visa inside your passport.

*Some consulates operate on a drop-in basis and do not offer appointments.

Step Three: Prepare Your Visa Application Documents

The following is a list of documents generally required for a student visa application. You must check your consulate's website for the specific documents necessary for a student visa application. Some of your consulate's requirements may not be included on this list.

Some of your documents may need to be notarized, translated into Spanish, and/or legalized with an Apostille of the Hague. See more information below.

  • Passport: Make sure it is signed, in good condition, and valid for at least six months after your program ends. It must have at least one empty page for the visa to be stamped inside. Scan or take a picture of your passport before submitting it with your visa application so you will have a copy for your records.
  • Driver's License or ID: You'll need an ID to prove that you reside in the jurisdiction of your consulate.
  • Application For National Visa: This form is available on your consulate's website. You can use the sample application as a guide. Make sure you sign and date your form on the last page!
  • Color Photo(s): Check with your consulate about the photo requirements. These are often the same type of photos required to get your passport.
  • Proof of Financial Means: You'll need to provide evidence of sufficient funds for your entire stay in Spain. Many consulates ask for a notarized letter from a parent and/or bank statements. You must check with your consulate to see what the letter should include and what amount is required on the bank statements.
  • Payment for the Visa: Check with your consulate to see what the fee is and what forms of payment are accepted.
  • Acceptance Letter and Proof of Health Insurance: These letters are in Spanish and were included in the acceptance packet that you received from Berklee. The acceptance letter includes confirmation of your housing in Valencia.
  • Medical Certificate: A letter from a doctor (M.D.) stating that you do not have an illness that poses a threat to public health in accordance with international health regulations. The letter should be on the doctor's letterhead and it must be written exactly as indicated by your consulate.
  • Background Check: This is a criminal record certificate. In the U.S. some consulates require an FBI background check, while others will accept background checks from the state police (not local police). Most consulates require a background check from each of the countries you have lived in for more than six months during the past five years.
  • Immigration Documents: If you are not a citizen of the country where your consulate is, you'll need to include your immigration documents. (For example, if your consulate is in the U.S. and you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to include your student visa and I-20, green card, or other documents.)
  • Other Documents : It's crucial that you include any other documents required by your consulate, as listed on their website.
  • Copies : Most consulates require the originals and copies of your visa application documents. Don't forget your copies!

*Getting a Document Notarized: Check with your consulate to see which documents need to be notarized. To get a document notarized, the person signing the document must sign it in front of a notary public. The notary then adds their stamp/seal to the document. You can find a notary at many banks, law/insurance offices, and UPS stores.

*Getting a Document Translated: Check with your consulate to see which documents need to be translated into Spanish. Some consulates require translations to come from a certified/sworn translator authorized by the Spanish government.

*Getting a Document Legalized (Apostille): Check with your consulate to see which documents need to be legalized. Documents must be legalized in the place they were issued (signed and/or notarized). Most documents must be legalized with an Apostille of the Hague.

Legalizing documents issued in the U.S.

    State-issued documents, for example a Massachusetts background check, must be legalized in the state where the documents were issued. Federally-issued documents, for example an FBI background check, must be legalized by the U.S. Department of State. See Apostille Requirements for more information. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find links to each state, for state-issued documents.

    Legalizing documents issued outside the U.S.
    If your document was issued in a country that belongs to the Apostille of the Hague Convention, it must be legalized with an Apostille, in the country in which it was issued. Review the list of countries for instructions on how to get an Apostille in each country. If your document was issued in a country that does not belong to the Apostille of the Hague Convention, it must be legalized by a Spanish consulate or embassy.

    Step Four: Submit Your Visa Application

    Arrive to your consulate appointment early and with all the required documents, including copies. (If an appointment is not required, be sure to check your consulate's visa drop-in hours.)

    • Remember, you will be asked to leave your passport at the consulate, along with the rest of your documents, while your visa is being processed.
    • Be prepared to pay the visa fee. Only certain forms of payment will be accepted (see step three).
    • Before you leave the consulate, ask how long it will take to process your visa, how you will know when it is ready, and how you can pick it up. (Most consulates do not require another appointment and will allow you to pick it up during their business hours.) Some consulates will mail your passport back you (if you provide a prepaid envelope). Each consulate has a different process, and you must confirm with them in advance.

    Step Five: Get Your Visa

    You will either go to the consulate to pick up your passport (with visa inside) or it will be mailed to you. Remember to ask about this process during your appointment (see step four).

    Entering Spain (or any country in Schengen Area)

    Get Your Passport Stamped

    As you go through the passport control area upon entering the Schengen Area, an immigrations officer should stamp your passport. Make sure your passport gets stamped!

    Once in Spain

    Get Your Student Residency Card

    If you are studying abroad for one semester only, you don't need to do anything. You will not get a student residency card.

    If you are studying abroad for an academic year, you will need to apply for your student residency card within 30 days of your arrival into the Schengen Area. It will take approximately two months to complete the residency card process. Your residency card will be your national identification card while in Spain. It's valid for up to one year and renewable if you continue to meet the student visa conditions. You will receive information on how to apply for the residency card during orientation in Valencia.

    Health and Travel Insurance

    Berklee's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

    The state of Massachusetts requires students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents to be covered by a health insurance plan that provides comprehensive coverage and is compliant with federal and state regulations under the Affordable Care Act.

    First Year Abroad students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents will be required to accept enrollment in Berklee's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), or submit a waiver request indicating comparable coverage, because their primary academic enrollment is in Massachusetts. Read more about the Berklee SHIP.

    First Year Abroad students who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents will not be enrolled in the Berklee SHIP.

    Spanish Health Insurance (MAPFRE)

    Students will be covered by MAPFRE, a private health insurance provider in Spain, while they are enrolled in the First Year Abroad program. This coverage is included in the program fee and cannot be waived. Students will receive their insurance card during orientation in Valencia. MAPFRE is supplemental medical insurance that provides coverage throughout Spain and is the exclusive partner of the Berklee Medical Assistance Program in Valencia. Visit Health, Wellness, and Support Services to learn more about Spanish health insurance as well as medical, counseling, and disability services in Valencia.

    Travel Insurance (for school-related trips)

    Berklee also retains a travel insurance provider, UnitedHealthcare Global (UHCG), that offers specific coverage such as emergency medical evacuation or repatriation and travel assistance services for students during their year abroad, including during travel that is part of the academic program. There is no fee for this coverage. Download the UnitedHealthcare Global Welcome Kit for more information.

    Travel Insurance (for personal travel)

    For personal travel within Spain during their year abroad, students will be covered by Spanish health insurance (MAPFRE).

    For personal travel outside of Spain, students are responsible for obtaining appropriate health and travel insurance. Students should check with their primary health insurance provider to determine whether they provide coverage for international travel. Alternatively, students can purchase independent insurance that includes medical coverage, trip and luggage protection, and more. See the Frequently Asked Questions section of Health, Wellness, and Support Services for more information.

    Valencia Academic Calendar


    Congratulations, incoming students! Please refer to the information below for details about your required fall orientation in Valencia, and if you have a question that is not covered below, don't hesitate to contact us at

    Student Move-in and Check-in: August 30 - 31, 2020
    Orientation week: September 1 - 4, 2020

    Before You Arrive

    Before you arrive to Livensa Living (formerly known as Collegiate Maria Real), complete all necessary administrative requirements, including submission of your tuition payment, immunization records, high school transcripts, and health waivers.

    To check the status of your administrative requirements:

    • Log in to using the ID and password sent to you by Admissions.
    • Select "Campus Tools," then "My Berklee" from the menu at the top right.
    • Log in to MyBerklee, then select "Students" on the right.
    • Select "Online Check-in Requirements" from the "Check-in" menu.

    Any outstanding check-in requirements will be listed there. It is important to complete all of these requirements before you arrive. You will not be able to check in until you have submitted all of your administrative requirements.

    Please note that entering students cannot check in online. Entering students must check in on campus when they arrive for orientation. For more information on the steps you need to complete prior to check-in, visit the First Year Abroad: Accepted Students page.

    When You Arrive

    Livensa Living (formerly known as Collegiate Maria Real) Residents

    Once moving in, other orientation sessions relating to general life in Valencia will take place over the first couple of days. If you have questions about housing policies or the move-in process, visit First Year Abroad Housing or contact the Student Affairs Office.

    Orientation Schedule

    Orientation week is full of informative and fun events and activities to help you learn about Berklee, get to know Valencia, and meet other new students. The orientation schedule will contain a full week of activities, including:

    • information sessions presented by various Berklee offices and departments,
    • social activities with other students, and
    • many more fun events to welcome you and your new classmates to Berklee.

    You will receive a detailed schedule with descriptions and locations for all orientation sessions and events before orientation and you can find additional information below.

    All activities and sessions are open to parents and families of First Year Abroad students, with specific sessions dedicated to addressing important information for parents as they plan the year ahead with their students. We encourage all parents and families to attend these sessions.

    Accessibility and Accommodation

    We are committed to welcoming and accommodating all entering students and their families at our check-in and orientation activities. Participants who need assistance or accommodations to fully experience the week's events are encouraged to contact the Student Affairs team well in advance as some accommodations take time to implement. In consultation with the Accessibility Resources team, we will provide reasonable and appropriate accommodations.

    Valencia Administrative Offices

    If you need to contact one of these offices to schedule an appointment during your orientation in Valencia, please do not hesitate to reach out to them in advance.

    Academic Affairs in Valencia:

    Registrar in Valencia:

    Bursar’s Office in Valencia:

    Student Affairs in Valencia:

    Financial Aid Office:

    Accessibility Resources Office:

    Admissions in Valencia:

    Important Links