Faqs | Berklee Valencia Campus
Campus alert

Fall 2022 Update

For updated information, please visit the Fall 2022 Frequently Asked Questions section. All updates on the COVID-19 are on our Public Safety Alerts page.




Q: Can I still apply to the program if I haven’t graduated yet but will before the program starts?

Yes, if you are currently in the final year of your bachelor's degree you are eligible to apply. Follow the instructions under How to Apply for detailed information on applying.

Q: How can I prepare for my application?

If you feel like you need some extra skills or experience before applying, please browse our courses at Berklee Online. There are many courses, certificates, and degrees available to help you improve your skills. Have a fluent english speaker: friend, parent colleague, read over your application materials. Meet with a private instructor to work on audition songs.

Q: What if my English exam doesn’t meet the minimum score?

If your English exam doesn’t meet the minimum score requirement, we still encourage you to submit it with the rest of your supporting materials as a placeholder. The Office of Graduate Admissions will review all your documents and inform you if you need to retake the exam and resubmit updated exam results.

Q: Is there an English language requirement?

Graduate applicants who speak English as a second language must have either successfully completed their undergraduate studies at an English-speaking university or must submit results from an approved English certification institution. Refer to the English Exam information for minimum test scores accepted in each program.

Q: If I am accepted to a master’s degree program but cannot attend, can I defer enrollment to the following academic year?

We do not defer enrollment. You are only accepted for the academic year when you applied. If you cannot attend for the year you are accepted and want to attend the following year, you must re-apply and submit all required application materials.

Q: How can I check my application status?

Log into your online portal to check the status of your application and supporting materials. When materials are received they will be highlighted in green within your portal. Materials highlighted in red means they have not been received and should be sent in to the Admissions Office as soon as possible.

Q: I have an undergraduate degree from Berklee. Is there a special process to apply to the graduate program?

The process is the same as for any other applicant. However, Berklee alumni can request a waiver for the $150 application fee through the online process. Please, specify your Berklee email, Berklee ID and date of birth, in order to be able to find you in the system.

Q: Can I apply to the graduate program if I don’t have a bachelor’s degree?

All applicants to the graduate programs are required to hold a Bachelor's degree.

Q: Can I reapply after an unsuccessful admission?

If you are not initially admitted to a graduate program, you may not reapply until the following year. All applicants who reapply are required to complete a new online application, pay the application fee, and submit updated relevant supporting materials.

Q: Can I submit a late application?

There are two application deadlines: early action, and regular action. Applications received after the deadlines will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please see the website for additional information regarding application deadlines.

Q: How much is tuition?

Tuition costs vary from year to year. The master’s degree programs on the Valencia campus are one year long. Tuition is divided into three equal parts and students receive a bill for the program via their Berklee.edu address three times per year (one per semester). Please refer to the tuition page for information about costs for the current academic year. Please take into account that you must add to the first payment the Comprehensive fee, Professional Recording Services fee (for SFTV) and Required Software Bundle (for SFTV, MPTI, CPPD).

Q: Can I apply to two programs in the same year?

Applicants must choose one master’s degree program on the application. Admissions will only review one master’s application per person, per year. Our graduate programs are specifically designed for the entire one-year experience, so you will be enrolled full time in the program to which you are accepted. If you want to apply for two master’s degrees, you will need to do that separately in different academic years on the same Berklee campus.

Q: Do I have to apply online?

All applicants must apply using the online application process. You can log-in and start your application online. If you have never used the online application system before, you will need to register as a new user. You will also need to upload supporting materials online.

Q: When is the application deadline?

There are two application deadlines: early action and regular action. Applicants who choose to apply by the early action deadline will be notified of their admittance decision several months before those who apply by the regular action deadline. This is the only difference between early and regular action. Check the exact application deadlines here.

Q: When can I apply?

Applications to graduate programs generally open in the summer for the following academic year. You can check application deadlines on the website or sign up to receive an email notification when the applications open along with other program information.

Q: How do I apply to a graduate program?

You can apply to a master’s degree program online at apply.berklee.edu. The first step is to register for a new account if you are a new user, or to use your existing login information to create a new application.

Q: Do you offer scholarships?

We offer a limited number of merit- and need-based scholarships to students accepted to graduate programs on the Valencia campus. Applicants need to apply for a scholarship through a form they will fill out. The Berklee Graduate Scholarship Application will appear in the Next Steps section of your online portal once you submit your program application.
Scholarship awards vary and the maximum award can amount to 90% of the tuition. Find more information about scholarships here. We also encourage you to consider additional financial sources and to research and apply to any external scholarship, grant, or loans as outside financial opportunities can also be used to finance your master's degree.

Auditions and Interviews

Q: Will there be a translator available for my interview?

A translator will not be provided for your interview. The interview will be conducted in English.

Q: What do you look for in the audition?

During the audition, contemporary performance applicants will be assessed on their musicianship based on the following criteria: Demonstration of strong musical and technical skills Prepared piece should demonstrate significant understanding of musicality, expression, phrasing, and appropriate articulation, and display excellent intonation and tonal quality Sight-reading Improvisation Melodic and rhythmic play-back.

Read more about the audition process.

Q: Do I need to audition for a graduate program?

Auditions are only required for applicants to the Master of Music in Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration). Someone from admissions will contact you to arrange the audition and/or interview if you are selected to continue in the selection process.

Read more about the audition process.

Q: Do I need to interview for a graduate program?

Based upon an initial assessment of the application, interviews are invite-only for applicants in this stage of the admissions process. The interview involves an in-depth discussion of your suitability for the program, how you will contribute as an active participant in the Berklee community, and how the program will help you realize your career objectives. Selected applicants to any of our Master´s programs will be requested to complete an interview as part of the admissions process.

Read more about the interview process.


Q: Can I do any of these graduate programs in Boston?

There are four graduate programs delivered exclusively on the Valencia, Spain, campus including, Master of Arts in Global Entertainment and Music Business; Master of Music in Scoring for Film, Television, and Video Games; Master of Music in Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration); and Master of Music in Music Production, Technology, and Innovation.
The Master of Music in Contemporary Performance (Global Jazz Concentration) is offered at the Boston campus. Further, Berklee Online also offers two online master's degrees; Master of Music in Music Production; Master of Arts in Music Business.

Q: Are classes in English or Spanish?

All classes are taught in English.

Q: Do I have to buy software?

Each program has specific software requirements. There is a required software bundle that is mandatory and included in your first tuition bill. You will receive the software bundle at orientation.
Even if you already own some of the software, you will still be billed for the full bundle, which Berklee arranges for you at a very low cost. Enrolled students will receive the updated software information the summer prior to orientation. Depending on your program, there may be optional software that we recommend.

Q: Do I have to buy a laptop?

If you already have a laptop that meets or exceeds the requirements, you do not need to buy a new laptop. Enrolled students will receive the new requirements the summer prior to orientation. Learn more about technology requirements.

Q: Can I do the program part-time?

The graduate programs are designed to be completed in one intensive year of full-time and in-person classes. Part-time programs are currently not available.

Q: Am I required to play an instrument to get a master’s degree?

All master’s degree candidates are required to play an instrument, except applicants to the Master´s in Global Entertainment and Music Business program.

Q: Do you have undergraduate programs at the Valencia campus?

Our Valencia campus currently offers two program options for undergraduate students. The Berklee Study Abroad program available only to students from Berklee’s Boston campus and a select number of partner schools, and the First Year Abroad program, which allows undergraduate students accepted to Berklee to complete their first year with the college abroad on the Valencia, Spain campus.

Q: Where do the faculty members come from?

Most faculty for the graduate programs in Valencia form a dynamic team with a diverse range of international professionals recruited worldwide, including our Boston campus.

See faculty.

Q: What’s the difference between Berklee’s campus in Boston and the campus in Valencia?

From an academic point of view regarding the quality of the programs, faculty, career services, staff, and faculty, there is no difference. From a facilities point of view, Valencia is smaller than Boston, with the whole campus contained in one long building within the City of Arts and Sciences complex. Given the size, Valencia has a smaller student body than the Boston campus. The facilities and recording spaces at the Valencia campus are comparable to the scoring stage and studios found at the Boston campus’ newest building at 160 Massachusetts Avenue.

Q: Can I take courses from other master’s degrees?

Because we offer highly specialized graduate programs focusing on specific areas of study, you may only take courses from your chosen master’s degree program, and may not take classes outside your area of study. However, depending on your program, you may be allowed to take an elective outside your area. Check the pages below for a list of required courses and possible electives (subject to change each year).
See Courses:
Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration)
Global Entertainment and Music Business
Music Production, Technology, and Innovation
Scoring for Film, Television, and Video Games


Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration)

Q: Can I study jazz at Berklee’s Valencia campus?

Absolutely. Jazz, along with many other styles of music, is embraced on campus. If you are looking for a program specifically focused on jazz, we recommend looking at the contemporary performance (global jazz) master’s degree offered on our Boston campus. For more information about this program, please follow this link.

Q: What styles of music can I study during the program?

Berklee embraces all styles of contemporary music. Through a course of practical and theoretical learning experiences that integrate performance and writing, our curriculum covers a variety of the influential styles, current technologies, and career opportunities open to today’s music professional.

Q: How many musical genres and styles do I have to know?

There is no clear number of styles a student should know. It's recommended that incoming students have a solid foundation (a minimum of 10 years of study and performance) in at least one style, and have begun studying and performing at least one additional style for three or more years.

Q: Do I need a bachelor’s degree in music for this program?

While it is highly recommended and most common that applicants have a bachelor's degree in music, it is not a rule. The rule is that you must have a bachelor's degree. The application and interview process is designed in a way that tests for certain levels of musicianship and the technical and theoretical ability that we determine necessary to get the most out of the program. While having a Bachelor of Music can help improve and prepare your skills in these areas, we recognize that a person can study and practice diligently on their own.

Q: What is meant by “production concentration” in the program name?

At Berklee's campus in Valencia, "production concentration" refers to recorded production. Students spend countless hours in our studios as musicians and producers through an intense, two-semester course in production, gaining first-hand knowledge of the technical aspects of recording their music as well as the production process that songs go through from inception to demo to final version. The focus is to give the contemporary artist more creative control over their music and the skills to be more self-sufficient.

Q: Can I have more than one principal instrument?

The short answer is no, only one principal instrument is allowed. When you apply for the program, you will select your principal instrument and be placed in ensembles based on this selection. This is the instrument at which you consider yourself the most proficient. If you play an additional instrument, there are performing opportunities both on and off campus throughout the year. At times we place students with private instructors not related to their principal instrument. The purpose of this is not for the student to learn a secondary instrument but rather to gain musical knowledge from an expert in a specific field and apply it to their principal instrument. Examples of past scenarios include a rap artist working with a percussionist to get a deeper sense of rhythm in freestyle and composition and a trumpet player studying with an alto saxophonist for improvisational concepts. These situations are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the program director and faculty with specific student goals in mind.

Q: What is meant by “production concentration” in the program name?

At Berklee's campus in Valencia, "production concentration" refers to recorded production. Students spend countless hours in our studios as musicians and producers through an intense, two-semester course in production, gaining first-hand knowledge of the technical aspects of recording their music as well as the production process that songs go through from inception to demo to final version. The focus is to give the contemporary artist more creative control over their music and the skills to be more self-sufficient.

Global Entertainment and Music Business

Q: How will this program help me to close the gap between where I am and where I want to be?

The global entertainment and music business program focuses on three main areas to help students grow in their professional development and gain a competitive edge in the market:

- Your network
- Your experience
- Your global perspective

We help our students develop a professional network by inviting high-profile and international guest speakers from all areas of the music industry to campus on a weekly basis. In addition, we provide opportunities to attend music industry conferences (at an additional price) to make more connections with industry executives and leaders. Plus, your classmates will form an important part of your professional network after graduation.

To develop your professional experience while studying on campus, the concentrations, the culminating experience (thesis), and the design of the courses provide opportunities for you to understand how the music industry functions on a global scale.

Q: Why should I study in Valencia, Spain?

Valencia is a vibrant Mediterranean city, offering multiple opportunities for our students to develop creative projects. In the past, our global entertainment and music business students have created projects for the local community including the Women’s Empower Symposium, TEDxBerkleeValencia, Jazz para el Autismo, and countless live music events.

Q: Do I need to have a bachelor’s degree in music business?

No. Global entertainment and music business applicants must possess a minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and demonstrate leadership, motivation, intellectual curiosity, and promise of great achievement in their area of study.

Q: Is the GRE or the GMAT required to apply for this program?

The GRE or the GMAT is not required to apply for this program. However, if you have taken the exam you are welcome to send us your results during the admissions process.

Q: What are the concentrations?

The three concentrations offered in the program are an opportunity for our students to specialize in a more specific segment of the music business. By choosing from the Entrepreneurship, Live Entertainment, and Record Label concentrations, students will become more specialized to reach their career goals. Therefore your choice should be directly related to your professional goals.

Q: Do I need to have a previous experience in the music industry?

We prioritize candidates who have some kind of professional experience in addition to a solid educational background and industry knowledge. Ideally candidates should already have some business experience related to music: managing a band, organizing live events, producing a record, or launching a music startup, for example. However professional experience in other areas of business is also seen as an asset.

Q: What’s the difference between this program and an M.B.A.?

To succeed in the music industry, it is fundamental to understand the complexity of the creative process, such as how artists function and work, how music is being created, and what artists need to be successful. This is something you can only learn by going to an institution like Berklee, which is exclusively dedicated to the improvement of musicians and the entertainment industry. It is imperative to be in close contact with talented musicians, artists, and music technologists to really get the full picture of the industry. The Global Entertainment and Music Business program balances the two sides of the brain: creative and analytical. During the academic year, students have countless opportunities to collaborate with classmates from other programs on campus to develop innovative music projects. In addition, the program is practice oriented; we offer several electives directly related to specific industry areas in which students get an opportunity to apply their knowledge in hands-on projects with artists. These classes include the science of artist management, music marketing, the live practicum, the record practicum, and data analysis in the music industry. From recruiters’ and managers’ points of view, this kind of practical knowledge makes a huge difference in finding a job in the music industry.

Music Production, Technology, and Innovation

Q: What software will I learn in the program?

In the required courses, you will learn to use Pro Tools, Albeton, Max MSP, Adobe Creative Suite, After Effects, Melodyne, and iZotope in addition to several video packages. In the elective courses, you can also learn more video production packages, Arduino, Unity, and several others for the Applied Media Design Techniques and Laboratory.

Q: Does this program cater to music producers as well as sound engineers?

Yes, the program has courses dedicated to both sound engineering and music production. We encourage students to do both in order to become better producers and engineers.

Scoring for Film, Television, and Video Games

Q: How can I best prepare for this program?

Watch many movies, not only American movies, and make sure they’re from different decades.
Find out which composers wrote the music for the movies, television series, and video games you like, and learn about them through YouTube interviews, books, and other media.

Read books about film scoring and writing music for television, video games, commercials, and documentaries.
Some recommended books are:

-Complete Guide to Film Scoring (Richard Davis)
-Writing Interactive Music for Video Games (Michael Sweet)

Play video games and familiarize yourself with the video game industry.
Take online courses in software, like Pro Tools or Sibelius to get to know the technical aspects of scoring for media.

Train yourself to learn something new every day; be your own demanding teacher.
Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses so you know your value, and what areas you need to improve.

Q: Who will be the most successful in this program?

The following social skills will help students do well in this program:

- Being hardworking and willing to participate in all classes rather than just attending
- Being on time and delivering assignments promptly
- Being a good team player and networking, and
- having a solid work ethic.

Q: What’s the ideal experience a candidate should have before applying?

The following experience will help students succeed in this program:

- A strong knowledge of harmony, counterpoint, and orchestration
- Very good score-reading skills
- Having experience doing transcriptions (the lead sheet of a song as well as orchestral ones); and
- A familiarity with technology tools for composing for media (sample libraries, plugins, notation programs, Daws, and so on)

Q: What software will I learn in the program?

You will be exposed to and use a variety of software during the year, as you can see in the required software bundle that is mandatory for the program. The main programs that you will learn are:

Digital Performer (with an available elective on the basics of Logic and Cubase)
Sibelius (with some workshops on the basics of Finale)
Pro Tools

Here is a list of software with which we recommend you have some experience before entering the program, even if it’s minimal:
Digital Performer 9 (and/or Logic X)
Basic knowledge of Sampler Plugins such as Kontakt 5, Play, and Vienna Instruments (hosted inside Vienna Ensemble Pro)
Basic skills in Pro Tools 12
Playback engine
I/O setup
Track types
Track naming
Edit modes
Basic shortcuts
Basic mixer routing

General Information

Q: What is the average rent I should expect to pay?

Renting a two- or three-bedroom apartment nearby campus or in one of the areas recommended averages 400€ to 1,200€ per month (approximately, not including utilities). Usually, students prefer to share an apartment with other Berklee students rather than renting a room with non-Berklee people, but there are a number of agents offering either option. Renting as a group (two or three people) is normally cheaper than one-bedroom apartments.

Q: I still have additional questions, who should I contact?

If you have additional questions related to admissions, please reach out to us at admissionsvalencia@berklee.edu.

Q: Can I work if I am not a resident in Spain?

Your student visa allows you to work part time in a job that does not conflict with your class schedule. It also permits you to work full time for up to three months under the same conditions. However, the business that hires you must solicit permission from the government and many employers are reluctant to take this administrative step. Therefore, few foreign students receive legitimate job offers during their studies. Keep in mind that your program will be very intense and you will not have much time to work outside of your studies.

Learn more about visas and residency in Spain, in the visa FAQ section.

Q: Do I need health insurance?

Berklee provides mandatory health insurance to all enrolled students, which is a part of the comprehensive fee, and cannot be waived. In order to obtain a student visa, you are required to have health insurance. We include a letter from the health insurance company in all acceptance packages for you to present at your visa appointment. Learn more about health insurance.

Q: What is the age range of students attending Berklee Valencia?

The Valencia campus is very diverse by age, gender, and nationality. On average students attending a graduate program range between 22 and 36 years old. Applicants to the graduate program must already have completed their bachelor's degree, as well as meet other admissions requirements.

Q: Does Berklee offers housing accomodations?

All graduate programs are non residential. Every student must secure their own housing. Please check Living in Valencia section.

Q: Are the Valencia campus graduate programs accredited in the U.S.?

All graduate programs at Berklee’s campus in Valencia, Spain,  are accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (formerly the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.), which is internationally recognized as an authority on educational quality.

Q: How can I get more information about the program?

Visit https://valencia.berklee.edu/

Complete the request information form to learn more about our graduate programs. We will send you information about the program, as well as important admissions reminders.

The admissions team offers online information sessions to give you an opportunity to meet the admissions team and get answers to specific questions you may have about our programs.

To see if there are any information sessions scheduled, visit Admissions Events.

Q: Can I visit the Valencia campus?

Yes, you can visit the Berklee Valencia campus by signing up for one of our campus tours.  To schedule your campus tour, view the tour calendar and register. 

Q: Can I start the program in the spring?

No, all graduate programs begin in the fall.

Q: When do graduate programs begin?

Graduate programs begin in late August or early September each year and last for three semesters, ending mid-July. See the academic calendar for additional information.


Q: Can you tell me about how many alumni get careers within the music field?

The data we have from past years indicates that approximately 90 percent of alumni work in the music industry. Berklee master’s degree alumni are working in more than 50 different countries on five continents.

Q: Who are some of the outside guests at ICC activities?

The ICC welcomes industry professionals to participate in workshops, panels, and offer one-on-one mentoring throughout the year. In order to offer the most current resources to students, guest speakers change from year to year. Recent profiles include CEOs and founders of entertainment and music publishing companies, award-winning music producers, film directors, tour managers, trailblazing music educators, and Grammy award-winning musicians and performers.

Q: What are some examples and topics of the workshops organized by the ICC?

The ICC workshops cover a wide range of topics so as to best appeal to the entire student body. Past workshop topics include time management, how to start your website, the best ways to market your release, and a Q&A with an artistic director, among others.

Q: Will the ICC help me find gig opportunities in Valencia and elsewhere in Spain (i.e., in Barcelona or Madrid, at festivals, and so on)?

The ICC is a great resource for learning about venues in Valencia that like to hire Berklee talent. In addition to providing this information, we can also offer guidance about the types of terms and conditions under which you should be working.

Q: Can I work in Europe after graduation if I am not from Europe?

The rules and bylaws regarding employment vary from country to country. If you are interested in working in Europe after graduation, we recommend that you make an appointment, and we can discuss your options in person.

Q: Can the ICC put me in touch with alumni?

We have a group of Valencia alumni ambassadors with whom we can put you in touch. If you would like to talk with other alumni, we will show you how you can reach out yourself.

Q: Do I need to inform the ICC if I find an internship or job?

If you secure an internship, we require you to tell us about it through the Berklee Career Manager in order to obtain college credit. For jobs, we are happy to receive this information, but it is not required.

Q: Will the ICC find an internship for me?

Given the numerous career profiles and countries represented on campus, the ICC is not responsible for finding an internship for you. All of the internships will be viewable on the Berklee Career Manager to give equal opportunity to all students. Once you have secured an internship, we may be able to provide assistance by providing visa information and/or ironing out other details.

Q: Is there a database of internships and job offers that students can access?

Yes; visit the Berklee Career Manager and look under the Opportunities tab to view and search for internships, gigs, and jobs to which you can apply.

Q: What kind of personalized help can I get from the ICC?

Whatever your needs may be, the ICC is here to help. For quick questions, you can visit our drop-in hours from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. from Monday through Thursday, or for a full 30-minute session with one of our career experts, you can make an appointment on the Berklee Career Manager.

Q: Can I work in the U.S. after graduation if I am not from the U.S.?

If you obtain an internship in the U.S. after graduation, you have the option to enroll in the Berklee Internships course. Taking this course means that Berklee will sponsor your student visa for three months (September-December).

Visit the International Career Center page for more information.

Q: What career services are offered?

The International Career Center offers career advising, career seminars and workshops, career resources like the Berklee Career Manager, and performance opportunities. Learn more about these services on the International Career Center. They also offer assistance with your resume, website, youtube channel etc and business cards!

Q: Are there internships available after graduation?

Internships for graduate students are optional and take place during an additional fourth semester in the fall after graduation. Students are responsible for securing their own internships. Students can choose to work in any country they can legally work in, the U.S., or Spain.

Learn more about internships at the International Career Center.

Summer Programs

Summer Performance

Q: Does Berklee offer scholarships for this program?

Unfortunately, we do not offer any scholarship opportunities for our Summer Programs at this time. We recommend researching local and government funding and scholarship opportunities to help with tuition fees.

Q: How many days per week will we be in classes? Will we get to explore Valencia over the weekends?

Classes are held 5 days per week, so you will have time on the weekends to explore Valencia.

Q: I’m not comfortable with many different styles except classical. Is this program right for me?

Absolutely. If you are ready to go outside of your comfort zone and learn from other musicians, styles, and cultures, this program is right for you.

Q: Can I attend on any instrument?

Yes. All instruments, including voice, are welcome to join our Spain Summer Performance Program.

Please note that as of May 6, 2021, the program has reached full capacity in the on-campus option. If you would like to join the Spain Summer Performance Program this summer, you still have the option to join the program remotely.

Q: What is the average age of Summer Performance program participants?

The average age differs each year. Usually, the majority of participants range between 17 and 25, but you will be placed in a group based on your level.

Q: Do I receive school credit after completing the program?

The courses will be credit-bearing. They can be counted as General Elective credit

Q: Is Valencia a safe city? I’m worried about my child under 18 going to the program alone.

Valencia is generally a very safe city. If you have any safety concerns, it’s important to know that Berklee’s campus in Valencia is under security 24 hours a day. Only authorized people are allowed into the campus building, which means that students must have their Berklee nametag ID CARD on at all times while on campus. Since the program is not a residential program, there is no supervision of participants attending it and therefore the College accordingly encourages that parents, legal guardians, or trusted adult chaperones accompany participants under the age of 18 during their travels to Valencia. Saying this, I can also confirm that the residence halls recommended on our website ( Galileo and RESA, Reuniver and Marina Real) do have 24 hour / 7 days a week reception and security staff ensuring the safety of the students housed with them.

Q: Is there an age requirement for the program?

Summer Performance Program participants must be at least 15 years old and have a minimum of six months instrument or voice experience.

Q: Will the classes be recorded and available in case I am unable to join the session when it happens live?

All sessions will be recorded, all classes included in the 4 modules, as well as the daily workshops and the music industry seminar to allow more flexibility. You will have access to these recordings for a semester so you can review them after the program has finished too.

Q: If I sign up in-person and the global situation does not allow me to join, can I switch to remote?

Yes, should you be unable to join the on-campus program, you can switch to the remote mode at any time. Please email summervalencia@berklee.edu to inform them about the change.

Q: What performance opportunities will I have?

Remote students:
The Recording Musician module will include building music recordings and videos done by students from distant places from each other; in a similar way in which professional musicians record music today, performers will play each of their parts and those will be assembled together in a recording. Social interaction spaces will also include performance opportunities for the community.

On Campus students:
Apart from numerous opportunities to hone your performance skills during classes, workshops, and rehearsals, all students will be invited to perform in the final concert.


First Year Abroad


Q: If I am accepted to First Year Abroad but change my mind can I still come to Berklee in Boston?

We encourage you to select “yes” on the FYA opt-in portion of the application only if you are sincerely interested in the program and want to study in Valencia for your first year. If you have changed your mind and no longer want to be considered for FYA, please contact the Admissions Office at admissions@berklee.edu or +1-617-747-2221 and tell us that you wish to opt out of FYA. Accepted First Year Abroad students will have up until the tuition deposit deadline of May 1 to confirm their starting campus.

Q: Are my chances of being accepted different depending on which campus I prefer to begin my Berklee career?

No. Your acceptance to Berklee is in no way affected by your preference to start in Valencia or Boston.

Q: Are there scholarships available for First Year Abroad?

Regardless of your campus preference, all undergraduate applicants are automatically considered for a scholarship through the audition and interview process. You may read more about scholarships here.

Q: Is the audition and interview process different?

No. The undergraduate audition and interview process for Boston and Valencia is the same. For more information, please visit the Audition and Interview section of our website.

Q: Can I visit Berklee College of Music’s campus in Valencia, Spain?

Yes! We highly encourage you to visit the Valencia campus and tour our facilities. Our admissions department runs our campus tours, and they are normally offered on Fridays at 11:00 a.m. The tour will typically last 45 minutes.

You may register for a campus tour via the tour calendar. Please note that all campus tours follow the current Covid-19 Related Safety Measures.

If you are not able to visit the Valencia campus in person, we recommend visiting this page to learn more about our facilities and reviewing our Flickr account to get familiar with our campus.

Q: How do I apply for First Year Abroad?

All applicants must go through the standard application process. To be considered for the First Year Abroad program, simply indicate “yes” to the relevant question within the application, along with an additional personal statement about your interest in the program.

Visit our how to apply page to learn how to start your application.


Q: When can I begin my third semester in Boston?

You may begin your third semester in Boston as early as the summer immediately following your second semester in Valencia. However, if you require a visa to study in the United States, you must acquire it before coming to Boston. You may also choose to resume your studies in Boston in the fall.

Q: How and when will I choose my major?

During the end of your second semester, you will work with an advisor to declare a major before returning to the Boston campus.

Q: Where do the faculty members come from?

Most faculty for the graduate programs in Valencia form a dynamic team with a diverse range of international professionals recruited worldwide, including our Boston campus.

See faculty.

General Information

Q: What’s the difference between Berklee’s campus in Boston and the campus in Valencia?

Academically, nothing. The quality of the program, faculty, and staff are the same. Valencia does have a smaller student body than the Boston and is contained in one long building within the City of Arts and Sciences complex. The facilities and recording spaces are comparable to Boston.

Q: Is housing included in the tuition cost for the semester?

Housing is a required cost, additional to tuition. For the cost breakdown of tuition fee and comprehensive fee*), please see our Tuition and Related Costs page. Note that the FYA information on this page is forthcoming, please continue to check this page.

*Charged per semester of attendance to all students for the cost of noncurricular facilities, programs, and services

Living in Valencia

General Information

Q: What is social life like?

Despite being Spain’s third-largest city, Valencia maintains its small-town charm. There are several popular up-and-coming neighborhoods offering world-class restaurants, cafes, and discos. For late nights out on the town, the ancient El Carmen in the city center is popular. For dinner on an outdoor terrace, Ruzafa is a good bet. Nearby Canovas is also a great neighborhood to find good food. For ideas on where to start, check out the New York Times’ “36 Hours in Valencia, Spain,” or an older article in the same 36-hour series from Valencia in 2011, still very relevant.

Valencia is well-known for its musical richness, and has no shortage of venues that support live music indoors and out. Some local favorites have quickly become student favorites, such as Jimmy Glass Jazz Bar, Loco Club, Upper Club, Sala Matisse and Ubik Cafe. Check out this New York Times’ article “The Newest Sounds of Valencia” highlighting Berklee’s presence in Valencia.

Q: What is the public transportation system like in Valencia?

The EMT service is the public bus system in Valencia. There are numerous bus lines during the day, most of them with short waiting times.

Night buses do not run as regularly as day buses do and not all routes are offered during night shifts, so to get around the city by night we recommend our students do so by either taxis (6€ minimum evening fare) or using Valenbisi, the public bike system which you will have access to for less than 30€ a year.

The tram and metro services are provided by Metrovalencia. From Monday to Friday, it runs until approximately 23:30 - 00:00. On weekends it runs until 2:30 a.m.

Q: Do I need to know Spanish to live in Valencia?

While you can get around the city without knowing Spanish, understanding at least the basics of the language is very helpful. We recommend getting familiar with some basic vocabulary. Duolingo is a language-learning application that can be downloaded to your phone for free and is very popular amongst Berklee Students in Valencia.

Student Health and Support Services

Q: How do I get help in the event of an emergency?

You should call 112 from any phone to reach the police department, fire department, or ambulance in a life-threatening emergency situation.

To speak to Berklee´s Public safety department please call:
Valencia Campus: (+34) 96 333 2802 (during Campus Opening Hours)
Boston Campus: (+1) 617 747 2333 (at all times)

Q: How do I contact Berklee´s Counselor?

Currently enrolled students can set up an intake appointment with Dr. Julieta Mondo Berklee College of Music Valencia Campus Counselor, by emailing her directly atcounselingservices@upromedes.com. At the intake appointment, Dr. Mondo will assess needs and discuss all treatment options. Depending on need and availability, the student will be referred for either individual counseling (up to once a week throughout the student’s enrollment at the Valencia Campus) or for longer-term counseling with a licensed therapist in the community.

Berklee´s Counselor respects confidentiality. Spanish and US laws and ethical guidelines for therapists require that student visits and all information shared during therapy sessions remain confidential. Counselors cannot release information to anyone without a student's written permission. This includes friends, instructors, and parents. Records of therapy sessions are kept in a secure electronic medical record. Exceptions to confidentiality occur only under special circumstances such as being in imminent danger to self or others. A counselor will review these exceptions in detail at the intake appointment. To make an appointment, please email counselingservices@upromedes.com

Please know that you also have access to My SSP (which stands for My Student Support Program): a free service for all currently enrolled Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee students, regardless of your learning modality or location in the world, including, of course, our Valencia campus. You might reach out to healthandwellness@berklee.edu for more information on this service or check out: MySSP FAQ

Consultation service is available to Berklee students, faculty, staff, and family members who are concerned about a Berklee student's mental health. Please connect with Dr. Julieta Mondo, Berklee´s Medical Assistance Team or the Student Affairs team to let us know how urgent your situation is so we can respond promptly.

Q: Can I add my spouse and/or child to the student health insurance plan?

Insured students may also enroll their spouse and/or children who reside with the student. Dependent coverage must be purchased for the same time period as the student's period of coverage and cannot exceed coverage purchased by the student. For example, a student enrolled for annual coverage cannot purchase independent coverage for the spring semester.

Students may enroll their eligible dependents for an additional premium by emailing studentaffairsvalencia@berklee.edu For information on additional premium costs (above the student premium) and coverage dates, contact berklee@segurosbarron.com.

Q: How long will the student health insurance cover me?

You will be covered under MAPFRE´s student health insurance plan so long as you are enrolled at the Valencia campus. If you are a graduate student, you will be covered until the end of July.

Q: Will the student health insurance cover me if I decide to travel for personal reasons?

Berklee's Student Health Insurance Plan will cover you as long as you are in Spain. If you are planning to travel around Europe or beyond for non-academic reasons, you should plan to purchase additional travel insurance. Once you leave Spain, you should make sure you have a valid Travel Insurance coverage which provides at least Emergency evacuation services as well as medical insurance in the event of an accident.

We recommend purchasing via Seven Corners. Save the website information and any instructions provided as reference in case you need to access services. Trip Cancellation Insurance and Personal Property Coverage are also available for purchase on this site.

You can also contact berklee@segurosbarron.com for other alternatives on travel insurance coverage.

Q: Can I continue coverage after the policy terminates?

Yes. To continue coverage on a direct-pay basis after your policy terminates please email berklee@segurosbarron.com

Q: Is there dental coverage?

No, but students enrolled in Berklee's Student Health Insurance Plan have access to a Dental insurance program, a discount program available to students. For more information please email: berklee@segurosbarron.com.

Q: What do I do if I get a bill in the mail stating I owe money for a recent medical service?

As long as the medical specialty you are requesting is covered by your health insurance plan and you were assisted at one of the medical facilities stated above (Clinica Sorolla or Hospital Casa de la Salud), MAPFRE should take care of any bills as soon as you show your MAPFRE ID card to the medical service provider. However, should you receive a bill or need to be reimbursed for services, please email berklee@upromedes.com, attaching your proof of payment if seeking reimbursement. Make sure you state your name, health insurance ID number, and school name. It is important to know that students will be fully responsible for any bills issued by public hospitals such as Hospital Clinico or Hospital La Fé.

Q: Where are the nearest pharmacies?

Pharmacies (farmacias) are located in every neighborhood in Valencia. They’re generally open from Monday to Friday from 9.30AM to 2:00PM and 5.00PM to 9.30PM, and Saturday 9.30AM to 2.00PM. Information about pharmacies open 24 hours a day (Farmacia de guardia) can normally be found on the window or doors of any pharmacy. You can also find pharmacy services on this link: micof.es/ver/124/?buscarGuardia=1

Q: Where are the nearest health care facilities?

These are the two facilities nearest campus. It is always recommended that you contact the Berklee Medical Assistance Team prior to walking in. You will find a map in the Berklee Valencia Student Handbook with both facilities.
Medical Walk-in Clinic (for non-emergency illness)
Clinica Sorolla
Calle Músico Ginés, 8
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 8:30 pm

Full-Service Hospital (for illness or emergencies)
Hospital Casa de la Salud
C/ Dr Manuel Candela, 41
46021 Valencia
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Hospital Casa de la Salud is multi-specialty hospital offering a wide range of medical and surgical specialties and conveniently located within 15 minutes from the Valencia Campus. Hospital Casa de la Salud also offers urgent care for sudden illnesses "after hours" and during evenings and weekends.

Q: What are the costs of copayments for doctor visits, if any?

To know what medical specialties are covered by your health insurance plan please refer to:
General MAPFRE Policy Terms
MAPFRE Annex Conditions including exclusions
Some specialized treatments such as physiotherapy and non-urgent dental care are not covered by your health insurance plan, and therefore you will be responsible for the total costs of these appointments. Please make sure you talk to Berklee´s Medical Assistance Team ahead of making any doctors ‘appointments so they can confirm these details for you.

Q: How can I get my prescriptions if I don’t get my card until after the start of the semester?

If you need to see a doctor or fill a prescription before you receive your ID card, please email berklee@upromedes.es. Please note that prescribed medications will not be covered by your health insurance plan.

Q: When will I get my health insurance ID card?

Providing you submit all personal information on time prior to your arrival to Valencia (passport information), you should receive your MAPFRE health insurance ID card during Orientation. Please email us at: studentaffairsvalencia@berklee.edu with any questions regarding the status of your MAPFRE ID card or to request a replacement.

Q: Who do I call if I have questions about the student health insurance plan?

For questions about what's covered under your health insurance plan or any enrollment concerns, please email: berklee@segurosbarron.com
For any other questions regarding Berklee´s Medical Assistance Team please email: berklee@upromedes.com.

Q: How do I enroll in health insurance?

All students enrolled at Berklee College of Music's Valencia Campus are required to register within Berklee´s Student Health Insurance Plan provided by MAPFRE for their academic year:

General MAPFRE Policy Terms
MAPFRE Annex Conditions including exclusions

Regardless of whether you are studying abroad in Valencia for one or two semesters, or are enrolled in one of our Graduate Programs, you´ll be automatically registered within Berklee´s Student Health Insurance Plan for the duration of your program.

Furthermore, every Berklee student enrolled at the Valencia Campus has access to Berklee´s Medical Assistance Team. This team will connect you to your required medical service, any time of the day. This service has specifically been prepared for you as students of Berklee´s Valencia Campus and therefore our staff will be able to assist you in English as well as in Spanish.

You should call Berklee´s Medical Assistance Team to book a doctor´s appointment and when seeking urgent care.


Q: How much should I expect to pay for utilities? Are they usually included in the rent?

Depending on the agreement you sign with the landlord/agent, utility bills (electricity, water, gas) may or may not be included in your rent. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of your rental agreement before signing, and note that bills might be up to 70–90 euros per person per month (the total cost might also be subject to the number of people living in the apartment). Also, note that heating/air-conditioning is expensive. Do make sure you switch off your devices when leaving the apartment or your bills might shoot up!

WiFi connectivity might be charged separately from utility bills, and should cost you around 50€ per month. You may have to arrange your own internet when moving into a new or empty apartment. There are many internet providers you can try: Movistar, Ono and Orange are some of the more popular providers amongst Berklee students. We highly encourage you visit the Phone House at either El Saler or Aqua mall (both within a 10-minute walk from the campus), as they will be able to recommend the best provider for you depending on your needs.

Q: What should I take into consideration when signing a lease with a landlord/ agent?

1. We recommend that your rental agreement is translated into English, or that you at least understand it well before signing and committing to it. If the landlord or real estate agent cannot provide this, then we recommend finding an agency to translate it.
2. You should consider what the breaking clauses are before committing to a year-long contract. Sometimes, students change their mind halfway through the year about where to live and with whom. So before committing to a contract, you want to make sure you understand the repercussions of having to break it before it ends. Furthermore, ask your landlord/agent what would happen if one of the tenants wants to move out and the others want to stay: what would be the consequences?
3. Make sure that all tenants understand this before you sign an agreement together. Make sure you communicate well with your future flatmates. You want to make sure you know the person/s you will share your apartment with for the whole year before committing to an agreement with them.
4. Deposits: Real estate agents and websites usually ask for one month’s rent in addition to one month’s deposit in order to secure your apartment. This is normal procedure. The month’s rent works as a commission (and is non-refundable) and the deposit will only be refundable in its entirety once you return your keys and the landlord/agent checks that the apartment is in the same condition as when you entered. We recommend documenting the condition of the apartment, as handed over to you and that you do not agree to pay any more than two months’ rent to secure an apartment.

Q: How early should I plan to start looking for an apartment? How soon should I arrive in Valencia before the start of my program?

We recommend you arrive in Valencia at least a couple of weeks before orientation week so you can get familiar with the neighborhoods, view the apartments in person and make informed decisions about where you would like to live. We encourage our students to stay at a short-term apartment/residence while they search for long-term apartments, and highly recommend all our students see the place before signing a rental agreement.

Q: How shoud I go about finding an apartment?

To find an apartment you can contact one of the recommended websites or agents in the above section "Rent an Apartment (Long-Term)", or you can get in touch with our former students who are renting directly from private owners.
Berklee does not endorse any of these alternatives, but we can help you connect with former students to get the contact information of apartment owners.Please contact studentaffairsvalencia@berklee.edu to learn how you can get in touch with former students.

Q: Which neighborhood should I live in?

There are many beautiful neighborhoods in Valencia in which to live. However, as a Berklee student, it is very likely you’ll want to live as close to the campus as possible so you can make the most out of the campus facilities and resources. These are the nearby recommended areas that we encourage you to explore in your search for accommodations:

Ruzafa, 23 minutes walking / 10 minutes biking
L’Example, 15 minutes walking / 7 minutes biking
Cuatre Carreres, 12 minutes walking / 6 minutes biking
Penya Roja, 11 minutes walking / 5 minutes biking
La Alameda-Avenida de Francia, 15 minutes walking / 6 minutes biking
El Carmen, 50 minutes walking / 15 minutes biking (old town district)

Q: Where should I live in Valencia?

As the third biggest city in Spain there are plenty of very cool, interesting, and lively neighborhoods to live in around the city of Valencia. There are many neighborhoods in Valencia that are close to campus. However, depending on personal preference, you might choose to live in a neighborhood further from campus. Valencia is a smaller city and transportation to Berklee Valencia is simple. Check our housing FAQ for more information.

Q: Does Berklee’s Valencia campus offer on-campus housing?

Undergraduates studying in Valencia are required to live in housing arranged by Berklee. Many graduate students choose to rent an apartment, either shared or individual, for their year in Valencia. Graduate students may also consider living at one of several student residence halls that provide high-quality facilities and are within walking distance from the campus.


Learn more about housing.

Q: What hotels are near the Valencia campus?

The closest hotels to the campus are NH Las Artes I, NH Las Artes II, and Barceló Valencia.

Q: Is there a meal plan available?

Meals are not included with housing. Students are responsible for their own food costs. Many students buy food at local supermarkets and cook at home. There are also many great cafes and restaurants close to the residence and near the Berklee campus.

Q: What is the difference in cost between spending my first year on the Boston campus versus the Valencia campus?

Tuition is the same at both campuses, but the cost of attendance for First Year Abroad is a little less than a first year in Boston mostly due to the difference in the cost for housing. Please refer to the Boston cost of attendance page and the Valencia cost of attendance page for details.

Bursar/Tuition Payments

Q: How to I sign up for direct deposit?

Please follow these steps. You must sign up for direct deposit by 5:00 p.m. EDT Tuesday of any given week in order for the refund to go out direct deposit.

When you sign up for direct deposit, make sure you are using the paper/electronic routing number and the correct account number.

Direct Deposit Sign-Up:

Login to my.berklee.edu. If you experience trouble logging in, please contact Student Technology Services.
Once you are in the "Students" section, please select "Direct Deposit Account Information for Student Refunds" under "Financial Information".
Enter your U.S. banking information on this form. Failure to enter your correct routing and checking account number will delay your receipt of your refund. Berklee does not validate whether or not your information is correct.

Please do not change the effective date.
Read the terms and conditions for direct deposit, then select the check box next to "I Agree" and hit submit. You will then receive a confirmation to your Berklee email when you have successfully submitted the form.
Once you have entered your information, you will see your routing number and the last four digits of your account at the top of the "Direct Deposit Account Information for Student Refunds" page going forward. If you need to change your direct deposit information, you must first delete whatever existing information is there.

Q: How do I require a Receipt?

For online payments, you will receive an automated email from our payment processor to whichever email address you provide. For all other payments, the fastest way to get a receipt is through my.berklee.edu (login required).

The "View Statement" option will provide you with a downloadable receipt for the semester you are currently viewing.
You can select a previous term from the drop down menu to view the charges, payments, and print a receipt if needed.

Q: How do I view my statement?

Login with your Berklee account to my.berklee.edu

If you experience trouble logging in, please contact Student Technology Services.
Once you are in the "Students" section, please select "View Account and Make Payments" under "Financial Information."

Once you click, a new window will open. Please make sure you have pop-ups enabled.
Here is an example of a student's statement. You will see charges, payments, financial aid, and any deposits made, as well as the balance due, if any, on the account for a given semester.
For a detailed breakdown of charges, payments, financial aid, and deposits, click "Expand All" as indicated above. This will provide you with the following view:

Q: I need a tax document. How do I go about obtaining it?

The most common requests we receive relate to the United States and Canada tax forms. For all other countries, please provide the necessary form from your government. If you need a receipt for a current or previous semester, you may access this on my.berklee.edu (login required) by selecting "View Statement" under "View Account and Make Payments."
The Office of the Bursar cannot provide you with tax advice. Please consult a tax professional for any questions you may have.

1098-T (United States)
Berklee partners with ECSI for all 1098-T reporting. This tax form shows the amounts charged for tuition and fees as reported by the Office of the Bursar. 1098-T forms will be mailed each year by January 31st in addition to being made available on the ECSI website. Please note if you do not have a domestic address, you will not receive a hard copy form.

ECSI Login Information
Log on to: borrower.ecsi.net/
School Code: D8
Account Number: This will be either your social security number or you will have to relay that you do not have a social security number and need the web generated ID.
PIN/Password: Assigned by ECSI*

*If you have any further questions, please consult the ESCI Informational Page or call the ECSI 1098-T Hotline at 1-866-428-1098.

TL-11A and other Canadian Forms (e.g. OSAP)
Currently, Berklee does not mail out tax forms for Canadian students for either their federal or provincial taxes. Please contact the Office of the Registrar and provide them with your necessary form. They will complete the necessary portions concerning certification of enrollment after which our office will complete the necessary financial information.

Q: Can my refund go towards next semester?

If your refund is due to overpayment, private or institutional scholarships, or private loans, simply fill out the Leave Credit on Account Form (login required) for each semester you wish to have your credit moved. You must do this each time you want to have credit applied to a future semester. This form is only available to students who are logged into berklee.edu.
Please be aware that credit due to federal financial aid (Stafford Loans, Pell/SEOG grants, or Parent PLUS loans) must remain in the same academic year (example: 2015 Fall Semester to 2016 Spring Semester). PLUS loans going back to the parent borrower must be refunded.

Q: Where will my check be mailed?

All paper checks to students will go to the preferred mailing address on file. This may not be the same as your local address, which you verify at the start of each semester. You can see what mailing address we have on file by viewing your statement on my.berklee.edu (login required).
To update your preferred mailing address, please email the Office of the Registrar at registrar@berklee.edu from your Berklee email address.
If the paper check is due to a Parent PLUS loan going back to the parent borrower, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at financialaid@berklee.edu or 617-747-2274 to verify the correct address is on file.

Q: How are refunds sent?

Most of the time, we will either send an electronic funds transfer directly to the student's bank account or mail out a paper check in the student's name. If the most recent payment is a credit card made within the past ninety (90) days and the student is not receiving scholarships or financial aid, the refund will go back to the payer's credit card.
To ensure you get your refund as quickly and easily as possible, we recommend signing up for direct deposit on my.berklee.edu (login required) using your U.S. bank account.
Please note: if the refund is due to a Parent PLUS loan, the parent borrower decides who will receive any refund at the point of application. If the parent borrower elects to receive the refund personally, we will mail a paper check to whichever address was originally provided in the borrower's name.

Q: When are refunds sent?

The first refunds in our office are processed during the third week of classes in a given semester after the add/drop period has ended for students. The refunds are processed in the Office of the Bursar in Boston on Wednesday and our bank sends out electronic refunds on that Friday. Paper checks are mailed the following Monday. No refunds are available for pick up in our office.

Q: Where is my Federal Financial Aid/Private Loan/State Grant?

Please view "My Aid" under the "Financial Aid" section of my.berklee.edu (login required) or contact the Office of Financial Aid to find out the status of your financial aid package. If you see aid on your statement that is marked as "Currently Ineligible," this means it is pending and not being counted toward your account balance. You may be missing documents, or it may simply be processing. It is best to inquire with Financial Aid to find out the exact reason.

Q: Why hasn’t my scholarship been applied to my account?

If it is a Berklee scholarship, please contact the Office of the Bursar in Valencia to verify the reason. If it is a scholarship from an outside organization, please gather any available paperwork detailing the award you are receiving and provide it to the Office of the Bursar in Valencia. Documents may be delivered in person or via email to bursarvalencia@berklee.edu.

Q: Will this have an impact on my credit history?

If you pay the charges through the agency, it will not impact your credit history. However, if the debt is not satisfied, Berklee College of Music reserves the right to report to credit bureaus.

Q: What is the collection process?

The college will, at first, make three attempts to advise you of your unpaid balance and try to work with you to resolve the debt. These letters will be mailed to the student’s current address on file. If all attempts fail, the account will be turned over to one of the college’s outside collection agencies. Once the account is turned over to an outside agency, you will work with them to pay the debt and any additional fees they will charge. Their fees can range from 33 percent to 50 percent of the debt owed.

Q: Why is it important to take care of an unpaid balance?

Unpaid balances can result in not being able to register for future semesters. It will also prevent you from receiving your grades, diploma, and official transcripts. In addition, if a balance remains after the semester is over, you will be subject to the collection process.

Q: What should I do if I do not understand why I have a balance or disagree with the charges?

After checking your account and identifying what is causing the balance you should contact that department to discuss the problem. Extra credit charges (Registrar’s Office), issues with financial aid (Financial Aid Office), Berklee scholarships (Scholarship Office), third party scholarships (organization granting the scholarship), library fines, etc. If you still need assistance to identify the charge, contact the Bursar’s Office.

Q: How will I know if I have a balance on my account?

Students should check their online accounts periodically to ensure there have not been additional charges incurred. This can be done at my.berklee.edu under My Finances. After the initial billing for each semester, an email notification is sent to all students who incurred charges and still have a remaining balance halfway through the semester. A notification of this will also be mailed to the current address on the account.

Q: What charges contribute to the balance on my account?

Besides the registration cost for a degree or diploma program, along with fees associated with registration, additional charges can result from additional courses taken, health insurance coverage, late payment and check-in fees, returned check and wire transfer fees, housing, pending aid/scholarships not received, and penalties from withdrawals.


Q: Do you know if I will be legally able to work or do an internship with a student visa?

To answer your question, we have to break down the concept of "work" and "internship" into two separate categories, because Spanish law divides them into different legal concepts.

Internships: If the internship in question stems from your Berklee master’s degree program, your student visa grants you the right to participate in the internship. Spanish immigration law is designed, in part, to protect Spanish workers in a global labor market while giving students opportunities to continue their education with practical internships in both public and private companies. Therefore, foreign students have the right to participate in internship programs sponsored by their universities, and these arrangements are not considered labor contracts even if the student receives economic compensation by the company for his or her participation; this compensation is in the form of a student grant or expense reimbursement. Please contact the International Career Center on campus for more information about internships.

Work: Under Spanish law, the concept of "work" or "a job" involves a different kind of economic relationship that comes with different rights and responsibilities than does an internship. Your student visa permits you to work part-time in a job that does not conflict with your class schedule. It also permits you to work full-time for up to three months under the same conditions. However, the business that hires you must solicit permission from the government and many employers are reluctant to take this administrative step. Therefore, few foreign students receive legitimate job offers during their studies.

More information in English can be found here for student visas and here for work visas. Both links lead to the Spanish Ministry of Labor website.

Q: Can I stay in Spain past the expiration date on my student residency card?

There is a gray area of the law that could be beneficial to you if you only want to stay for a few months after your card expires. Technically, you have to renew your card before it expires. However, there is a grace period of 90 days for people who did not renew in time. That means you could still legally be in Spain for up to 90 days after your card expires. However, remember that your card is what allows you to re-enter Spain if you leave, and your card will be expired during that 90-day grace period.

This means that if you leave Spanish national territory during the 90-day grace period, you will not have the right to get back in, especially if you are not from the following countries: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hong Kong and Macao (China), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, or Venezuela.

Q: Does the time I spend in Spain as a student count toward getting Spanish citizenship?

The calculation for time spent in Spain in order to apply for citizenship is based on what is called residencia. Unfortunately, student visas don´t grant residencia, but rather estancia and, therefore, your time at Berklee does not count toward the required time need to apply for citizenship.

Q: Once I get to Spain, how do I get my student residency card?

Berklee will send you more information on getting your residency card several weeks before your program begins.

Q: What is the difference between a student residency card and a NIE?

A student residency card is a type of Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero, or a foreigners’ residency card. This is a physical card that all non-EU foreigners must obtain if they are staying in Spain more than six months. This card contains your photo, your fingerprint, and your NIE.

Q: What is a NIE?

NIE stands for Número de Identificación de Extranjero, or a foreigner’s registration number. This number is used to identify foreigners while they stay in Spain and it is imperative to have for all administrative and financial matters.

Q: Can my wife/husband and child/children accompany me?

Yes, your immediate family members can accompany you during your studies in Spain. Each family member will have to apply for a separate visa; they should each apply for a Non Lucrative visa. Depending on the consulate that corresponds to you, each family member may need a separate appointment in order to present their visa application. We recommend checking with the consulate to see what their procedure is. Remember to bring a copy of your marriage certificate and/or birth certificates with you to Spain, because Spanish police will want to see them in order to issue your family members their own residency cards.

Q: The police didn’t stamp my passport when I entered the Schengen Area with my visa. What should I do?

Save your boarding passes and the paid receipt for your flight. You will need to present them to the police in order to get your student residency card.

Q: Can I enter Spain before the date posted on my Visa?

Entering Spain a few days before your student visa is in effect won’t be a problem if you are from the countries listed below*. Just be sure that when you enter the Schengen Area, you get your passport stamped. If, for some reason, an immigrations officer doesn’t stamp your passport (this is rare, but does occasionally happen), please be sure to keep your boarding passes and the paid receipt for your flight. You would need them to get your Spanish student residency card.

*These countries are: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hong Kong and Macao (China), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Q: Will the official acceptance letter provided by Berklee in my accept pack meet the requirement for my Visa application?

Yes, the acceptance letter Berklee provides meets the acceptance letter requirements for the Spanish government. The official acceptance letter is written in Spanish and certifies that you are a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School or US program indicating: name, address, telephone and fax number, and registration number with the Ministry of Education of Spain; full payment tuition; duration of the program (date of start & date that finishes); subjects of study; hours of study per week (20 at least).

Q: Will the health insurance letter provided by Berklee in my accept pack meet the health insurance requirement for my Visa application?

Yes, the student insurance that Berklee provides meets all the health insurance requirements from the Spanish government, including covering medical expenses and repatriation in the case of accident or sudden illness for the entire period of the stay in Spain.

Q: Do I have to pick my visa up in person?

Spanish law states that you must come to the consulate in person to get your passport. There have been cases in which a consulate will let someone use a courier service to retrieve his or her passport, but that decision is at the discretion of the consulate. You would have to negotiate that, and you may or may not be successful in doing so. The better you document your case (paid airline tickets, for example) the better chances you have of being able to have a courier pick up your passport. Also, there is an important nuance that you should be aware of. The consulate usually holds the passport while it processes the visa, so if you want to fly to Spain during this time, you should let the consulate know of your plans when you submit your application (again, bring paid airline ticket receipts, hotel receipts, etc.)

Q: What happens if I arrive late for my program due to visa issues?

The academic consequences of late arrivals must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by deans Brian Cole and Camille Colatosti.

Q: I have a visa appointment in late August, and my visa won’t be ready in time to come to Spain. What are my options?

You CAN get into Spain for 90 days without a tourist visa IF you are from: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Holland, Honduras, Hong Kong and Macao (China), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, or Venezuela.

If your visa will not be ready by the time your classes start, and you are from one of the above countries, you could come to Spain and start your classes and then return to your home country to pick up your visa when it is issued. Remember, you have up to 90 days to be here without the student visa. Once you are notified that the visa is issued you have 60 days to pick it up in your home country; be careful, if you don't pick it up within 60 days, it will be canceled!Also remember that the consulate will hold your passport while it processes your visa application, but you will need your passport to come to Spain. Therefore, you will have to ask the consulate if it will let you keep your passport while it processes your visa. The best way to convince the consulate is to bring paid plane tickets/hotel accommodations to your visa appointment. Since each consulate has a degree of administrative leeway, we cannot guarantee that it will let you hold on to your passport. Have in mind that some consulates might be more strict than others and therefore, buying tickets and paying your hotel will be risky. So far, all of our students and employees who have found themselves in this situation were able to keep their passports.

Q: The Spanish student visa requires students to have proof of housing for their visa appointment. I don’t have my housing in Valencia yet, what should I do?

This policy might change from one country to another, but if you have a housing requirement from the consulate in your country, you can provide a document with a hotel reservation for the first few days of your stay in Valencia. You do not have to show that you have already paid the hotel, the reservation is more than enough. For some countries, your acceptance letter should be enough proof of residence and that should fulfill the requirement. Or a signed copy of your lease.

Q: Will I be provided a letter from the university or school in Spain or in the U.S. assuming full financial responsibility during my stay?

No. Unfortunately, Berklee does not provide students with this letter. You must fulfill this obligation by another means. I would bring copies of your FAFSA/ Grad Plus Loan/ Loan information, paystubs to show you have a surplus of money coming in or a guardian's signed letter saying they will support you during your time here.

Q: If I present a defective visa application, how long do I have in order to correct it?

You have 10 business days to correct (subsanar) any problems in your application after you have submitted it. The 10 days are calculated starting the day after you present your application, and the days that count are Monday through Saturday (not Sunday, nor any holiday that causes the consulate to close. These holidays might be Spanish national holidays or local holidays in the country where the consulate is located).

Q: I live in one country now but I used to live in another. Where do I get my criminal background check from?

Spanish law states that you need a criminal background check from all the countries in which you legally resided during the last five years.