Electronic production and design is one of the most competitive—and promising—fields in the industry, and Berklee in Valencia’s electronic production and design master’s degree program will help you develop the tools to make you a leader. You’ll focus on creating, manipulating, and mixing all sonic elements used in electronic music and sound design, emphasizing new artistic directions and modes of expression. Working in specialized lab, studio, and performance facilities, students learn in small-group settings and apply a wide variety of advanced concepts and techniques to a range of creative projects—towards a wide range of career paths.
The program start date will be announced in the future. Please register here to receive program updates.
- Electronic Composition 1
- Electronic Composition 2
- Interactive Systems 1
- Interactive Systems 2
- Audio Software Design 1
- Synthesizer Programming and Sound Design
- Electronic Post-Production
- Sample Library Development
- Electronic Music Culture
- Controller Design
- Composition for Hybrid Ensembles
- Mixed-Media Performance Systems
- Audio Software Design 2
- Culminating Experience in Electronic Production and Design
* Course content is subject to change
The master’s program runs from September to August.
Outcomes of the Program
Through required and elective courses, EPD graduates will:
- Analyze the properties of complex sound
- Develop unique critical listening and assessment skills
- Understand advanced synthesizer functions and signal flow
- Master a variety of synthesizer programming paradigms including subtractive, additive, FM, sampling, granular, and others
- Understand advanced studio technologies and techniques including signal flow, recording, editing, and mixing
- Master MIDI and other audio production technologies and techniques
- Create innovative music using a palette of original synthesized timbres
- Design and implement audio elements for visuals
- Design and use interactive MIDI, audio, and visual performance and production environments
- Perform electronic music live
- Design, build, and use hardware and software alternate controllers
- Code audio software
- Gain a historical and cultural perspective on electronic instrument innovation and design, musical literature, and pioneers in the field
These are some examples of the career paths students can pursue after completing this program:
- Sound design for video games/film/television/theater
- Electronic music composition and production
- Interactive and mixed media
- Audio programming and software design
- Hardware design
- Live performance in solo and ensemble settings
Learn more about Careers in Electronic Production & Design.
Who Are We Looking For?
We seek focused, motivated, creative candidates with excellent academic and professional backgrounds who can contribute skills that will benefit the program. The ideal EPD candidate wants to create music in a variety of electronic genres using original electronic sound sources. He/she is experienced working with a variety of sound elements in the creative process, while performing associated tasks in the production timeline. EPD candidates also explore new creative uses for music and audio design, including electronics in performance, composition, software design, and interactivity.
EPD candidates should demonstrate that they have:
- Highly developed musicianship
- Prior academic success
- Previous experience with and accomplishments in music technology, including one or more of the following:
- Electronic composition and production
- Synthesizer programming
- Sound design/post-production
- Software design
- Hardware design
- Mixed-art forms
*Admissions requirements, application process information, and important deadlines will be published shortly. Please register here to receive program updates.
Valencia Admissions Contact Info
Berklee in Valencia Office
Phone: + 34 91 522 45 36
Application Fee: 120 Euros (Nonrefundable)
Tuition Fee: 24.500 Euros (Total cost of the program)
Tuition Deposit: 500 Euros (The tuition deposit is credited towards tuition charges in the first semester of attendance.)
Is the GRE or the GMAT required to apply for this program?
The GRE or the GMAT is not required to apply for this program.
Do I need to have a degree in composition?
EPD applicants must possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent credentials) and demonstrate motivation, intellectual curiosity, and promise of great achievement in their area of study.