Scoring for Film, Television, and Video Games
Every time I start a project, I have the same feeling: here is a new puzzle to assemble.
I’ve been given a box with all the puzzle pieces and a general framework, although there is no complete image of the final picture. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to put it all together. However, instead of working on it leisurely over summer, I have a deadline, and a limited amount of time to complete the puzzle. This adds a mixture of euphoria and pressure to the process, generating unexpected results–for better and/or worse.
There is something magical about this process that has always fascinated me and continues to fascinate me. Sometimes I’ll spend one, two, or three days mulling over a cue, only to “find” the perfect piece in the blink of an eye. Any other piece wouldn’t fit.
Once the movie is finished, somehow the music appears integrated, but in reality it’s something that day after day, I worked to put each small piece into place. Sometimes after trying try to force a piece into place, I’ll realize that it’s not the right one, although it seemed so at first glance.
The more puzzles I accumulate over time, the more I realize there is no secret formula. This is one of the best things I like about my job. Each movie has its music, and all music has it’s time. For me, it’s all about piecing the two together, and enjoying the process while you’re at it.
- 2012 Goya Award-nominee for Best Original Score for Blackthorn
- 2009 Goya Award-nominee for Best Original Score for Los girasoles ciegos
- 2007 Goya Award-winner for Best Original Song for La educación de las hadas
- 2003 Spanish Music Award-winner for Best Score for Mondays in the sun
- 2002 Toulouse Cinespaña for Best Film Score Intacto
Lucio Godoy has written and produced music for more than 60 feature films, including:
- Everybody has a plan, 2012 (feat. Viggo Mortensen)
- Blackthorn, 2011 (feat. Sam Shepard)
- Chinese Take-out, 2011 (feat. Ricardo Darín)
- Shell Shock, 2009 (feat. Colin Farrell and Christopher Lee)
- The blind sunflowers, 2008 (feat. Maribel Verdú)
- The education of fairies, 2006 (feat. Irène Jacob)
- Don’t move, 2004 (feat. Penélope Cruz)
- Mondays in the sun, 2002 (feat. Javier Bardem)
- Intacto, 2001 (feat. Max von Sydow)
Work as musical producer for other composer´s feature films, such as:
- Alejandro Amenábar’s scores for The Others, 2001 (feat. Nicole Kidman) and The sea inside, 2004 (feat. Javier Bardem), directed by Alejandro Amenábar.
- Alberto Iglesias’s scores for All about my mother, 1999; Live flesh, 1997; The flower of my secret, 1995, directed by Pedro Almodóvar)
- Alfonso Vilallonga’s scores for A los que aman, 1998 (feat. Monica Bellucci) and My life without me (feat. Sarah Polley & Mark Ruffalo), directed by Isabel Coixet